Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Blogger Profile: Charlotte's Fancy

I'm constantly inspired by people, aren't you? In particular bloggers of course, because this blogging thing a part of my day, too. . . and people that do it well, whether large or small followings, inspire me. I don't know about you, but my first stop on a blog is the "about" section.  The story behind the blogger and the posts is so important.  Sometimes there is enough info there, and sometimes there isn't. Sometimes it's what I want to know, and sometimes not. So. . . I'm going to start sharing the bits I want to know about those bloggers I follow and adore. Hopefully these little bits - smidgens (of course) - about cool bloggers, makers, and doers in general will help you get your fix, too.  If you too are interested in the music they listen to, or must haves in their closets and homes, or what keeps them inspired to do what they do, and yes, what blogs they read, then this is for you (and we must be kindred spirits!).  

First up, the woman behind the fabulous Charlotte's Fancy- Molly De Aguiar - whom I was drawn to not only because of her amazing blog, but because she is nice and I've (ehem) never met a Molly I didn't like. . . yes, her name is Molly, not Charlotte. Interesting, right? You will love her and her blog too.  Thanks to Molly for being so wonderful during this process and continuing to share her keen eye for design and favorite things on the blog.  Enjoy!

[smmidge] Describe your blogging style.


[charlotte's fancy] I tend to keep my words to a minimum, but I hope my readers see me as cheerful, friendly and creative. And most especially, I hope my readers see me as genuinely supportive of independent and handmade artists.
SUCH a wonderful blog - check Charlotte's Fancy out!
You can feel her spirit in her words and definitely in this image!
[smmidge] Your personal style? And one favorite piece in your home and wardrobe that reflects your style.

[charlotte's fancy] My personal style has evolved a lot over the last several years. In fact, I’d say that having a blog has helped me really sort out what I do and don’t like (particularly for my home). So, if you read Charlotte’s Fancy, you probably know that I like mid-century modern and Scandinavian design. I also like color, used sparingly. (I’m still learning how to do this in my home.) For Christmas, my husband gave me the Enzo Mari apple print that I featured on Charlotte’s Fancy not too long ago, which we just got framed in a natural wood frame. I absolutely love it. It’s huge! Four feet by four feet! But I love the red and the simplicity of the design, and I think it reflects me very well.
Molly's apple print in her chic living room.
As for my wardrobe, I feel prettiest when I am dressed up for work. Admittedly, I wear a lot of black and gray, with some colorful accessories, but I have a few dresses and skirts in fun prints, mostly from Boden. I probably get the most compliments on a pair of giraffe print slingback shoes by Kate Spade, but my favorite thing to wear are my red Swedish Hasbeen clogs. They just make me happy.
[smmidge] What keeps you inspired both on the blog and in life?

[charlotte's fancy] Charlotte’s Fancy is a creative outlet for me – I do it to remind myself to make time for creative pursuits, whether it’s making a craft, or curating handmade gift guides, or reading other blogs for inspiration. Otherwise, I’m a workaholic.
 

For the blog, I’m inspired by design of all kinds: surface pattern, illustration, industrial design, package design. I’d also say that I continually find inspiration in extraordinary handmade items and the people who make them.

And although I don’t really write about it on Charlotte’s Fancy, in life, I’m inspired by people with clever and innovative ideas, particularly where those ideas help engage people to improve their communities. Candy Chang is probably my favorite example of this – if you don’t know her work, I urge you to see her website. I am also a fan of Jake Barton’s Local Projects (particularly the “Change By Us” projects they launched in New York City and Philadelphia), and I also love this clever “Museum of Possibilities” public art installation and civic engagement project in Montreal.

In an alternate universe, I’m pretty sure I am an urban planner.

[smmidge] Your 3 favorite songs to listen to while blogging.

[charlotte's fancy]
Who Do You Love? - Ted Leo & the Pharmacists
Let It Out – Girl Talk
Get Myself Together - Robyn

[smmidge] Last book you read and loved.

[charlotte's fancy] Food Rules – the edition that’s illustrated by Maira Kalman. I just bought “Why We Broke Up” by Daniel Handler, also illustrated by Maira Kalman, and I can’t wait to dig into it. Maira Kalman is my idol.


[smmidge]Your top three favorite blogs.

[charlotte's fancy] oh man, this is a hard question to answer, because I like blogs for all different reasons.
I absolutely adore Print & Pattern; it is at the top of my list. I guess I would also include Eat Drink Chic, because I think Amy Moss has impeccable taste (and fabulous free printables, to boot), and Poppytalk offers endless inspiration. I’m going to cheat and add that I’ve really been enjoying Hey Look recently, and I love a number of Scandinavian design blogs (Nordic Design, From Scandinavia with Love, Lovenordic Design, and the Darling Clementine).

Thanks again to Molly de Aguiar at Charlotte's Fancy for being so lovely and sharing her discerning design eye and sweet spirit.  

6 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to read more of this series, Molly! Thanks for the introduction to Charlotte's Fancy. Love the idea and look forward to seeing more soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Hilary!! Good stuff to come, as you know! :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for featuring Charlotte's Fancy, Molly - it was an honor and you are very kind to pick me. Looking forward to reading more interviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So wonderful to have you and get to know you better. So fun! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  3. I love Molly's blog too and you're right, she is a very nice person with impeccable taste (though I have not met her either!). I was really interested in Molly's blog recommendations and insights into her life that are beyond the scope of Charlotte's Fancy - what a great interview!
    One last thing - I am like you, I ALWAYS go straight to the about section on a new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacqui - thanks for checking this out 0 so glad you enjoyed the interview! Sounds like we might be kindred spirits as well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails