Monday, November 8, 2010

One Magazine, One Skirt - 2 Outfits


Been loving working through the October issue of Elle Decor.  I keep every issue of just a few mags - Domino (RIP), Elle Decor and Dwell.  I refer to old issues all the time (nerd. alert. I. know.), and refer back to previous months and years for inspiration.  There is just something about turning those pages. . . again, back to paper, and having something tangible to flip and turn. . .I can't bear to tear them apart.  I need the full experience.    


While other kids were watching cartoons, on Saturdays of the late 80s and early 90s my family was watching Style with Elsa Klensch on CNN.  Nerd. Alert. Again. Si. (check out some clips here)  But Ms Elsa taught me that style and architecture and design are linked and you can (and should!) draw inspiration from each. . . and dude, it helps me to look at old clothes in a new way - you know?  I may not have the fashion of my dreams (Rachel Comey, Marc Jacobs, Elie Saab, DVF - ahhh, love you from afar) but life is all about making the most of things, right?  So optimistic of me!  I'm trying to bury my inner cynic.


So these pages of October Elle Decor helped me come up with a couple of ways to wear my absolute fave fave skirt right now, from the sale rack at JCrew.  Love those sales.  Check it out

This gold page really blew me away.  What would I give for that bamboo leaf bowl?  Wow.  But for now, it can just remind me of the cute gold jacquard skirt.  The golds, blues, blacks, and grays. . . here's what I came up with.  Take your inspiration where you will, and don't be afraid to mix it up!

Fave skirt - sale rack, JCrew; Plaid shirt - I Heart Ronson, JCP; Scarf - Forever 21; Black sweater - sample sale

Fave skirt again; Striped tee - Anthro; Denim Jacket - (old) Gap

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails