Thursday, January 19, 2012

Guest Post by Green Eggs & Hamm

Hi everyone!  I'm SO excited to have Amy from Green Eggs and Hamm guest posting today with the grooviest, simplified DIY headdress project for you and your funky kiddos.  I mean, it's perfect considering her logo, right?!  She's my go-to for fun projects, and especially thrifting tips, and more . . . plus she is a cute, quirky mom who makes me laugh. Fab combo.  All I can say is I'm totally making myself one of these, too!  Thank you, Amy!  Can't wait until our next month's swap!  

Hey there!  So excited to be over here at Smmidge guest posting.  It's Amy from Green Eggs and Hamm.  GEH is where I blog about thrifting, crafting, cooking...and occasionally losing my mind being a working mom with a couple ornery kids.
Here is a super easy under an hour project.  I love me a quick craft.  I got the inspiration from Cloth Magazine but frankly didn't have the time or patience (right now) to do it.  I wanted instant gratification and this one required a lot of handsewing and a TON of feathers and trim!  I did put it in the archives because it's too great not too!
Here is the easy method!
 front
back
 The Supplies:
  • glue gun-2- sticks of glue or more
  • feathers (I used 3 different sizes)
  • scissors
  • trim (I chose sequins)-optional
  • felt- you can also use this instead of leather if you don't use as many feathers!
  • elastic for closure (I used stretchy lace)
  • scrap leather-about 8" long and 4" wide (wide enough to double over the feathers you are gluing)
 
lay out your leather and start gluing the smallest feathers first...starting in the middle and working your way out.
add your bigger feathers over the small ones.  This takes  alot of glue!
Once you have a sufficient amount of feathers add a LOT of hot glue and fold the leather over the feathers. *make sure and leave a little opening at the ends to add your elastic or tie. 
 I cut about 6 inches of stretchy lace for each side...so I could tie it in a bow.
Now, lay out your embellishments.  You really don't even have to do this step but these sequins were calling my name.  I didn't like the orange leather so cut a piece of felt with scalloped edges to cover it as well.  I just hot glued them down.
There are no rules! Play around with it and add your own touch.

I can't even believe how cute, quick and fun this project is.  I'm all over this and can't wait to share my version!  Hope you have fun giving this one a whirl too.  THANKS AGAIN Amy!  And don't forget to check out GEH for more fun stuff from this craft queen. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh! Small one would rock that :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's so cute. and so glad to have you! love your stuff, too. :)

      Delete
  2. This is so flippin cute! My little one totally needs this... Heck, Mommy needs this :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I'm so making one for moi! THanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails