Sunday, March 25, 2012

Blogger Profile: Rosa of Misadventures in Shopping


Happy Monday, y'all.  So excited to share this profile of Rosa from the inspiring, hilarious, stylish blog, Misadventures in Shopping. I met Rosa a few years ago when we worked at the same company, and even before we got to know each other a bit, I always thought we would get along famously. . . she is creative, confident, funny and owns a true sense of personal style.  She is also a dog owner and a mom.  Yep.  Doing it all and sharing the roller coaster of this life and all the little lovelies (thoughts and things) that keep her going.  You feel connected to her now, too, don't you?  That's Rosa.  You feel like you have known her for years even by just reading her blog.  Now sadly, we don't see each other much though we live in the same city, but we have had some wonderful accidental reunions every now again, typically via email or shopping (we often share obsessions, as you can read on her blog, thus end up in the same places searching for our favorite things).  Anyway, hope you enjoy this profile as much as I have and be sure to catch all Rosa's musing on MiS.  

smmidge: 1) Describe your blogging style.
Misadventures: Silly, serious and above all honest - even if means admitting to things like I secretly wish I could wear a caftan this Spring. (smmidge: see this hilarious caftan post here)

smmidge: 2) Your personal style? And one favorite piece (each) in your home and wardrobe that reflects your style.
Misadventures:A walking contradiction.  Modern and Classic.  Structured and Romance.  Hipster and Mainstream.  I feel like I can't say I'm one thing or another because I usually like it all with of course some exceptions.  So much of it is intuitive - I like it therefore I wear it.  I could say that about a vintage dress, a NorthFace fleece, a mustard wool jacket from Anthropologie, raccoon mukluks, maxi dresses or a favorite fitted white dress. Above all, I prize fit.  There is no style without fit for me.  If something doesn't fit me right no matter how much I love it, I will most likely suffer.  Also, I need and strive for effortless.  Not in the sense that you take one look at me and think wow, her look is so effortless.  More that it doesn't take changing into ten different outfits in the morning.  I have those mornings sometimes.  They are brutal.
The pic I took is in our grey living room.  I knew when we moved back into our house that I wanted the grey.  It seemed counterintuitive because when I think of grey, I think of cloudy days.  But I love the grey because it makes the room so much lighter.  It also feels so classic and yet so modern.  Walking contradiction.  I happened to be wearing my new favorite Warby Parker glasses.  I love these frames - what most would deem hipster.  I'd like to have some artsy higher meaning like I love the lines of the frame or the vintage feel and I do love those things, but I just loved them from the first moment I laid eyes on them.  Notice I'm balancing it all out with my mainstream Northface fleece.  I really wanted to dress up and look all cute, but my dress was still wet so I just went with the reality of my life.  Warby Parkers and a fleece.  Height of fashion and style :)   
smmidge: 3) What keeps you inspired both on the blog and in life?
Misadventures: My life inspires the blog - the desire to put myself out there, to be honest about my failings as a parent, wife, human being, my obsession with fashion, design, etc.  And somewhat full circle, the blog inspires my life.  I want to put myself out there at the risk of falling flat on my face because I love to write the blog.  And because I put myself out there more, because I'm actually committing my thoughts to "paper", I am more apt to be inspired by the daily activities of my 4 year old, or the hilarity that is probably only considered hilarious by my husband and me, or the musings of others.  It's so easy to get caught up in your mind, nuclear fall outs happen in my mind, but once on paper rationale, forward movement and inspiration from daily acitivities occur.  It's amazing.
(smmidge: I can't help but share another favorite post about Rosa's life, and her loves - her 4 yr old and her dogs.  This image is also another view into a room that I love.)
smmidge: 4) Your 3 favorite songs to listen to while blogging.  
Misadventures: I have a pretty varied playlist.  Low brow, high brow, children's music, my husband's recommendations, etc. so I usually don't have just 3 songs I listen to.  Right now I'm listening to Mean by Taylor Swift.  I hate myself for liking her music, but I can't help it. I balance it out by frequently listening to Eminem's 'Till I Collapse.  Sometimes you need catchy and sometimes you need some angry person telling you to never give up.

smmidge: 5) Last book you read and loved. 
Misadventures: As nerdy and weird as this might totally sound, I just finished Stephen King's book On Writing.  Which is, you guessed it, about writing.  I totally grew up reading his books and couldn't get enough of this nonfiction piece.  Completely different from anything else he's written, but absolutely spot on and hilarious.  To say that I was emotionally vested in this book is an understatement.  I told my husband that when I read how he and his wife were barely managing to get by when he was given a $400K contract for the paperback version of Carrie, I wished I could have given him a hug.  I was so happy for him.  Weird, I know.
I think some of my favorite books are the ones that surprise me.  The book that I didn't think could be good, but turned out to be brilliant.  I loved reading every moment of it and learned so much.
(smmidge: another odd connection with Rosa, we are currently reading Stephen King's 11/22/63 which is blowing us away and I'm can't say enough about his writing in this book in particular.)

smmidge: 6) Your top three favorite blogs.
Misadventures: This is so hard because there are so many!  And so many that I visit for various reasons.  It really blows my mind the amount of talent out there.  Most of which I haven't even heard of yet.  I feel like my favorites change from time to time.  Some of my current favorites - 1.  Design Mom(designmom.com) - there's a little bit of everything on her site.  Photography, crafting, fashion, parenting and of course I love her personal style and am generally jealous that she's currently living in France.  I'm inspired and live a bit vicariously through her postings.  2.  The Pioneer Woman (thepioneerwoman.com) - Great recipes, more photography, homeschooling and general humor.  I love reading her blog.  I feel like I learned the importance of not taking yourself too seriously something I've been known to do on occasion.  3.   It's so hard to only pick 3.  I'm not sure if that means I need to pair down my blog list or if I just can't make up my mind.  But since I have to choose, I will choose Apartment Therapy (http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/feedburnermain) - I'm always amazed at what people can do with interior spaces.  

Thanks again to Rosa of Misadventures in Shopping for sharing some inspiring pieces of her world with us here.  Hope you are all off to a wonderful week.  xx - m.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails